January 5, 2012

E-Mails, Texting and Conversation

I am stuck in the past. I have such a hard time e-mailing my friends who prefer that form of communication to talking on the phone. When using a telephone, you establish a more personal connection with the person you're calling, and communication is much more direct than through texting or e-mails.

What I miss about talking to my friends on the phone is that I cannot hear them laugh, hear their voice inflections, tell if they are happy or sad, angry or indifferent. I get nothing from looking at a white page typing. How can you have that personal bond with someone without talking to them? I have found that when you e-mail questions to a friend who prefers that form of communication, that they can choose not to answer or comment on anything you say. What message is that sending?

I can understand how it is necessary with the way things are in the world today to do a quick text or email, but it really takes away from nuturing your friendships. You want to send a quick joke or inspirition, or do your business, send an e-mail. You want to send a photo or quick couple of words, text. You want to keep things alive between you and your friend....CALL.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Me and My Lexi

Me and My Lexi

Pet the Kitty